Canadian Skilled Trades Visa
Skilled tradespeople may be eligible to apply for a permanent residency visa under the Federal Skilled Trades category.
To qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades category, applicants must, amongst other criteria, have:
- At least two years work experience in a skilled trade within the five years prior to submitting a permanent residency application;
- Have an offer of full-time employment in a skilled trade, for a total period of at least one year, OR have a Certificate of Qualification in a skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial body;
- Applicants must meet the minimum English or French language requirements.
Express Entry – January 2015
If an applicant meets the criteria for the Federal Skilled Trades program, they are required to submit an application under the Express Entry system.
Qualifying applicants will be placed into a pool of applicants (along with Federal Skilled Worker and Canadian Experience Class applicants) and CIC will complete a points assessment under the Comprehensive Ranking System Grid.
Applicants will be awarded points based on the following factors:
- Work Experience (Canadian and foreign)
- Language Ability (English and/or French)
- Arranged employment
Applicants will be ranked in order of their points score under the Comprehensive Ranking System and the highest-scoring applicants will be invited to apply for permanent residency.
Applicants may remain in the Express Entry pool for 12 months and CIC will select applicants throughout the year.
Successful applicants under the Skilled Trades category will be eligible to obtain Canadian permanent residency status which will allow the applicant and their accompanying family members to live and work anywhere in Canada. However, applicants wishing to reside in Quebec should apply under the Quebec immigration program.
If you do not qualify for permanent residency status under the Skilled Trades category, there may be other visa options available to you.